It's like a Word of the Day Calender. Only Sexier.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

bereft

be*reft


adjective


/bi'reft/


  1. Deprived or lacking of something, esp a nonmaterial asset

  2. (of a person) Lonely and abandoned, esp through someone's death or departure


When one receives news that a 13 year old boy has died, a sort of overwhelmingly silent loudness fills the air. Much like lifting a seashell to an ear, the whoosh of air plays tricks on your mind. You do not really hear the ocean. Just as you do not really hear the voices telling you such terrible things. You are empty. Bereft. And even words hold weight when everything else falls away.



Where had I heard this wind before


Change like this to a deeper roar?


What would it take my standing there for,


Holding open a restive door,


Looking down hill to a frothy shore?


Summer was past and the day was past


Somber clouds in the west were massed.


Out on the porch's sagging floor,


Leaves got up in a coil and hissed,


Blindly striking at my knee and missed


Something sinister in the tone


Told me my secret must be known:


Word I was in the house alone


Somehow must have gotten abroad,


Word I was in my life alone,


Word I had no one left but God.


Bereft - Robert Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment