It's like a Word of the Day Calender. Only Sexier.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

nebbish

neb*bish

noun
/ 'nebiSH/


1. one who is fearful and timid, especially in making decisions and plans, in discussions, debates, arguments, and confrontations and in taking responsibility

2. (slang, mildly pejorative) A loser


Who doesn't know someone befitting this description? A jelly fish with no backbone, imagine if The Little Mermaid was written with Barbra Streisand in mind? What if Ursula had sung "Poor Unfortunate Souls" as a yente? For really, what Disney movie wouldn't be better if it was in Yiddish?


"Poor Unfortunate Nebbishes" doesn't quite have the same musicality, true...but what if it did?

*

I admit that in the past I've been a schmuck

They weren't kidding when they called me, well, a shikse

But you'll find that nowadays

I've mended all my ways

Repented, seen the light, and made a switch

To This

And I fortunately know a little magic

It's a shtick that I always have possessed

And dear lady, please don't get verklempt

I use it on behalf

Of the miserable, the lonely, and depressed (shlemiel)

*

Poor unfortunate Nebbishes

Oy vey, in need

This one longing to be thinner

That one wants to get the girl

And do I help them?

Oy gevalt!
*

Perhaps this is not kosher for a goy like me to post...but I bet it made you smile. See how much fun we can have with words? And while I usually recommend words only for building people up, should you find means to use this word...imagine the glee you will obtain knowing they have to google what nebbish means.

No comments:

Post a Comment